TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
This is unfortunately not surprising in PA. My parents Shul doesn’t even leave their doors unlocked for Shabbat any more; last time I was there they had someone wait in the lobby to let people in. If it was later in the service, people used the intercom.
ReplyDeleteThat's insane. This is not how the US is supposed to be.
ReplyDeleteF-L Silver yet this is has always been the reality for American minority communities.
ReplyDeleteWhite Christian churches never have to think about security, they can leave their doors open for all with no real fear.
Shuls, Mosques, Black Churches, other minority religions - we bear the cost of not just being in fear, but needing to pay to mitigate that fear. Services can’t be easily open when you need to vet who comes in.
The danger waxes and wanes, but it’s always been here.
The gunman walked into the building and yelled "All Jews must die!" then began shooting congregants, according to the news station.
ReplyDeleteSuspect was then taken alive. (In contrast to, say, Tamir Rice.)
They talk about some of the security burden the Shul needed to do to stay safe. Minority religions can’t pray on their holy days and not be concerned about dangers. buzzfeednews.com - There Are "Multiple Casualties" After A Shooting At A Pittsburgh Synagogue
ReplyDelete