TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
You can gauge my level of excitement by my reaction to this post, which was “Wait, holiday? What holiday? Oh, right.”
ReplyDeleteBut then, as I have no children and am not goddishly inclined, Easter usually registers about on the level of Arbor Day in my mind.
I await snotty comments about not having kids (although that's not holiday exclusive, sigh).
ReplyDeleteI mean, it turns out Passover and Easter and even Orthodox Easter all fall at the same time or the same week this year. Like, I suddenly noticed all this holiday food and gift promoting going on and was like, what? oh, right, whatever.
ReplyDeleteExcept I'm kinda thinking I want to go to my favorite local candy store and buy chocolate. Not that they don't have it all year, but it's 3rd gen family owned and they have a pretty high standard and I like to support them. I mean, if I'm going to spend too much on chocolate.
ReplyDelete