An old article, but still relevant as to how ideas get stuck in the culture and are hard to get rid of, even when...

An old article, but still relevant as to how ideas get stuck in the culture and are hard to get rid of, even when there is no basis.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/04/the-irrationality-of-alcoholics-anonymous/386255/

Comments

  1. I was just reading this. It rings pretty true to me. The overt religiousness of AA is... not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also the idea that if you don't do it their way, you've FAILED.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of the challenges to my appreciation of Elementary, actually. It's (obviously) not a killer, but it does present a degree of SoD issues.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan "Skwid" Langlinais The argument can be made, re: Elementary, that heroin addiction is a different beast from alcohol addiction. It is possible to be a drinker and lead a perfectly normal life; I would not say the same of being a heroin user.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean, you're not wrong about heroin, but I'm not sure NA is any more likely to be believably effective for that character than AA would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ehhhhhh... yeah, probably, but I can see him compartmentalizing the annoying religious bits and using the rest. Especially if, as the article points out, that's the only real treatment game in town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right, like I said, not a killer, just a challenge...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog