These are Nanaimo Bars, a classic no-bake bar from the misty post-WWII past.
These are Nanaimo Bars, a classic no-bake bar from the misty post-WWII past. I made them for the neighborhood block party. Yes, the chocolate layer on top is too thick. I tried to use up some old chocolate that my mom had. It would be better described as Devonian, so I had to fix it. With more chocolate and butter, obs.
The official recipe from the city of Nanaimo, BC is at the link, and it's basically what I used. However, I would definitely suggest either pecans or walnuts rather than almonds (both acceptable in the canon). Almonds are too neutral in flavor. I also used the more traditional specific brand of custard powder - Bird's. It's not just British, it's Canadian and I can get it here. I just used regular unsalted butter, because it's perfectly fine.
And now I know that there are several people from Canada on our street, two of them from Vancouver.
https://www.nanaimo.ca/about-nanaimo/nanaimo-bars
#catchupposting #truenorthtreats
Yes, the chocolate layer on top is too thick.
ReplyDeleteYOU TAKE THAT BACK!!!!
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy Nanaimo bar?
ReplyDeleteThe sting of death is custard; and the strength of sin is the chocolate.
But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through Nanaimo, BC
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the making of no-bake bars, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
Canadians 15:55-58
(ok, maybe the caffeine is affecting me now)
John Novak you are very yelly today
ReplyDeleteBethany Willick some things are important.
ReplyDeleteSo when we talk about European butter, we're really talking about a style in which butter is produced throughout Europe. European-style butter refers to a cultured butter that has been churned longer to achieve at least 82 percent butterfat. Traditionally the butter is allowed to ferment to achieve a light sour taste, but you're more likely to find butter made with added cultures. Either way, you still end up with a tangy butter.
ReplyDelete... wat.
Yep, here it means fermented butter that's a bit tangy.
ReplyDeleteI'm now starting to question whether everything I thought I knew about our butter is wrong. I figured out how to double check: I could just look up the Dutch version of the butter page on Wikipedia. And yup, they say lactic acid bacteria are added for flavor. Although they do say butter is defined as anything over 80% here, though, not 82. Not that I think that makes a huge difference.
ReplyDelete