What happens when you fish your presidential candidate out of the clearance bin at some tragic Casual Corner.

What happens when you fish your presidential candidate out of the clearance bin at some tragic Casual Corner.
(P.S. Still plenty of ballgowns for the inauguration.)

#thepresidencyofchinesepradaknockoffs  

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/politics/donald-trump-transition.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/09/us/politics/donald-trump-transition.html

Comments

  1. ...Sonofabitch.

    How the fuck does this not violate the nepotism laws?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trump says it doesn't. What are you, some kinda commie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listen, as a well-known political philosopher once said, it can't be illegal if the president does it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cerulean military jackets it is, then.
    #theyearoflivingdevilishy

    ReplyDelete
  5. The shock would have been if this hadn't happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest, I sort of expected him to name Ivanka the First Lady rather than Melania, then use the "Well, the First Lady has an official position in the White House... why not make her an advisor and give her a clearance?"

    Five quatloos to the person other than Leigh who can tell me the precedent that would be based on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. (Oh, if you specifically meant Presidents, then yeah, I'd sort of default to Jackson for any combination of populism and fuckery.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wasn't Jefferson widowed and his daughter played hostess?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mean naming someone other than a wife to be first lady-- there are multiple examples of that. I mean "The First Lady has a White House position anyway....."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hillary and the first crack at healthcare reform?

    ReplyDelete
  11. F-L Silver Jackson's wife died post-election and pre-inauguration and her niece ended up assuming the duties of "First Lady". Not sure who Jefferson's FL was (wasn't Martha, she'd been dead 19 years at that point).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I'm pretty sure after the kerfuffle with First Lady Clinton, it was clarified that Flotus doesn't need a clearance the way that usually means?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was Jefferson's daughter who was "First Lady" for that reason. It's actually been very common for female relatives other than a wife to be First Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The quatloos go to Will Frank. I am really surprised that is not the route they took.

    I am unaware of any current ruling on FLOTUS and clearances except that as far as I know, none of them have needed them and therefore none of them have had them.

    (I also would like to take this opportunity to endorse the idea of abolishing the office/position of First Lady/Laddie, making a sub-cabinet level appointment of "White House Social Coordinator" and severing that entirely from the idea of that person being married to or related to the President. Make the position subject to the nepotism laws.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know of Jefferson, Jackson, Van Buren, and Arthur. Were there more, because I wouldn't call 4/44 (or 4/45 if you count Trump) "very common"?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, my stream is not updating in any time-related organized fashion. So, yeah, I'm with others that this is a call-back to Hillary Clinton as First Lady.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Buchanan, who was never married.

    As far as I can tell, there have been periods where there simply wasn't a First Lady. Chester Arthur's wife is a sort of an honorable First Lady, but she died well before he took office and he... doesn't seem to have had a first lady.

    (I wouldn't call it very common either, but it's also not uncommon.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jefferson, Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Taylor, Buchanan, Johnson, Arthur, Cleveland. Varying situations, varying amounts of time. I guess that's still not terribly common but it would be about 20%. It's much less common now. Some of that has to do with decreased mortality issues, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Arthur's sister was his hostess, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog