TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
Is it possible that your body is craving salt?
ReplyDeleteMmmmmm tuna noodle casserole
ReplyDeleteCheesy hash brown casserole
ReplyDeleteOur standing Friday dinner is pan fried fish tacos. Not quite the same, but I've been thinking about them ALL DAY.
ReplyDeleteOMG, Bethany Willick church potatoes. I LOVE those things.
ReplyDeleteChurch potatoes are the best.
ReplyDeleteAmanda Heyen it is, regretfully, more likely stress. Which means I need none of it, but boy, oh boy, do I really want it.
ReplyDeleteI dunno, when I crave stress-induced foodstuffs, my life is greatly improved by eating them. Sometimes for whole days at a time.
ReplyDelete