TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
Get thee to a sports massage therapist, posthaste!
ReplyDeletemassage roller + do other things
ReplyDeleteIt's worst in my knees and hips. Icing and other stuff helps, for sure, but it's the tiny muscles and attachments right around and deep into the joints that are reeaaallly hating me. And I do not want to take ibuprofen, right now, even though I know it also helps with inflammation. I do have access to a massage person, though, and foam rolling the ITB is definitely a thing to do.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I am, actually, trying a form of yoga that's specifically supposed to be "gentle". We'll see, because I think it is part of the problem, at present, but I have to work a little more with the instructor to see what modifications might be helpful.
ReplyDeleteOne of the things my instructor has been great about is finding ways to make the poses work for people of varying capabilities (which is great when you are teaching for a company full of out of shape office workers) and she really talks through what to focus on in each pose to get the best and safest stretch. It's one of the reasons why I get all eye-twitchy when I look stuff up online.
ReplyDeleteBut one thing I have seen that could be useful are some of the various support techniques for things (cushions and towels as well as yoga blocks, etc.) I could see how some of them could alleviate join strain while still getting the right stretch, it would just be a lot of BS to carry around.
One of my problems is that I am too flexible, and I have to be very careful about that. And my muscles are obviously weak in inconvenient places. Like, I would have sworn my arms were weak, and yet things that require that are not a significant problem. Otoh, I seem to have become very unbalanced in terms of left/right, which is not a good thing in any exercise.
ReplyDeleteI have a bad problem with over-extension on my joints as well, which has resulted in many a twisted ankle and led to a lot of trouble in the aforementioned balancing poses. When you add in that I can't "lock" my knee because it would over-extend instead of straighten like "normal" people, it means I have to modify heavily just to stay upright.
ReplyDeleteThen there are all the poses where there is just too much of "me" in the way of doing it "right" . . . . she knows to ignore me on those, too.