TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
Is there a place you and your father can go like a long stay hotel or a relative's house or something? I know you mentioned the stress already having an effect on your father's health and I can't imagine how angry/stressed you are.
ReplyDeleteWe talked about going to my sister's in Michigan. Problem is, we are afraid of what will happen if we leave my mother alone. More afraid of what she'll do than what he'll do, at this point, but that might change, as well. My mom also has a thing about people who "abandon" her. This is totally fiscoed up ;)
ReplyDeleteWait... hey! ;)
ReplyDelete