TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
Too much sugar in a recipe can do that. Perhaps this will help. If you don't want chocolate, you can probably omit the cocoa without too much harm. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/chocolate-meringues.html?cm_src=RECIPESEARCH
ReplyDeleteThanks. I saw that W-S recipe online, and it isn't the one I had, which is why I didn't use it, but I can't remember the exact proportions in the other one (and am not digging through a storage facility to find that one W-S cookbook). Maybe I will try that next time, though. It can't be worse than what happened with the Martha Stewart one I tried :).
ReplyDeleteI just saw this recipe on my go-to food blog and thought I'd share. I haven't tried it, but maybe you can compare it to the other recipe and see if there is a ratio difference somewhere.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thekitchn.com/easy-dessert-recipe-crisp-meri-146685
Awesome - thanks! Now I just have to figure out how to make meringues without refined sugar, lol). I love crispy chocolate meringues.
ReplyDelete