TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
Yes, and wondering why I get a notification every time you post something. (Not that I mind hearing what you're up to, but I don't get that for anyone else.)
ReplyDeleteYou're special? Seriously, I have no idea. I will fish around in g+ and see if there's some new settings thing I don't know about.
ReplyDeleteDude, I just got home. Soon to bed, probably.
ReplyDeleteIt's late - get some rest!
ReplyDeleteMust drink wine first. It's medicinal, donchaknow.
ReplyDeleteTanner Lovelace there's a per-circle setting that allows you to specify notifications for people on that circle.
ReplyDeleteAnd it went wherever I did go.
ReplyDeleteJasper Janssen I should check to make sure I didn't unintentionally set it to send notifications.
ReplyDeleteF-L Silver IIRC, it's a setting to RECEIVE notifications, not a setting to SEND them. So it's not your setting, I think.
ReplyDeleteI think the only way to send notifications is to explicitly plus-mention people or share to that person, rather than to a circle.
ReplyDeleteJasper Janssen I know all about per circle settings and it's not that. Amy Young no, it's not my setting. I've had this happen with someone else and it turned out to be how they were sharing the data. I do know, though, that it's nothing I'm doing. F-L Silver your posts are "Limited" so how are you sharing them?
ReplyDeleteWith my circles, but I have to see if I did/didn't set something.
ReplyDelete