TIL that some languages apparently have words inherently differentiating one's status as a citizen or resident of the entity versus a member of a particular ethnic or cultural group? I don't quite grasp the whole thing, although I heard the point being made. What's interesting to me is a) that there is such a thing, which seems very revealing of something about a culture that would need such concepts built into the language, and b) that there seem to be people who think it's inaccurate to interpret the word choice as meaningful. Firstly, since languages have all sorts of concepts built into them, many very specific to their primary culture of use, it seems reasonable that such a thing could exist. Not that I would have thought of it before, since I'm not from a culture where that sort of subtlety functions. Secondly, if that is, indeed, the subtlety of the word choices, where one essentially and inherently includes people, and the other excludes, then I'd kind o...
Pinging David Scotton by name, in case he doesn't see this because the G+ post ordering is a little weird sometimes...
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately I have no idea - I'd never heard of a Scottevest until now. Personally I'd order it online.
ReplyDeleteWell, in that case, is there some particular mecca of brick and mortar for techies? I figure people would mostly do their shopping online, but sometimes you want to manhandle things first?
ReplyDeleteI think Fry's Electronics is the closest thing to what you describe, but I don't know if they would sell clothing.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure why they asked me, of all people, but I will pass that on - thanks! P.S. I will be in San Francisco for a meeting tomorrow through Sunday morning, hopefully networking for future employment.
ReplyDelete